Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Old Friends

I can't say enough about the importance of old friends.

I am often questioning everything in my life... but not when an old friend checks in.

Laurie and I were all of 19 when we met. I came to the college via my dad's desire to go to the college he wanted me to go to.

Laurie came from a religious family who wanted her to come to the small liberal arts college because of it's religious grounding.

As friends we had our opinions about everything and could talk for hours. We simply "clicked."
We were never roomies, but we delighted in bumping into each other in the dorm hallway and talking about our daily life as if it were the biggest news ever. I couldn't imagine life without her. But, I had to transfer to a different university to get the credits I needed to be a certified teacher.

Yet we have maintained our friendship for over 40 years.

So when she sent me a birthday card today, I sighed, and the years melted away. We were back as
friends picking play fights and calling each other by our last names. Who knew our friendship would last this long?


No comments: