Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Birthdays are...


 Birthday Wishes

Then I turned 58.  I celebrate my birthday about every four years.  I did 50, 54 and 58.
Do you celebrate your own birthday...?  Birthdays have clearly changed in this social media era.

In my 20-30's they were an event! We had no money for big gifts- but the excitement was there, and cards were usually handmade. They were such a big deal... we visualized the entire day.

Now we rely on FB to remind us. My one friend who still mails cards is a novelty. Another friend mails me a gift- much to my embarrassment since I can't remember when I did the same. A third friend writes a long hand written note on the back of the envelope praising herself for remembering my birthday. The significant other.... well, he forgot.

Yep, I just turned 58 along with all my other mid-life friends who will soon enough.

No comments: