Monday, February 12, 2018

I have Depression: Now Watch Me




It is embarrassing that men and women in the medical field are truly ignorant of treating people with Anxiety and Depression.

There is no excuse.

As promised, I can finally tell my recent medical story.
The story is true and is what I feared, there was no computer error!

After a through investigation, the hospital where I had my surgery, wrote me a two page letter of apology.

It was November 15, 2017 and I had a shoulder replacement surgery. I live alone so I told the doctor I would need to go to a rehab center to recover because I couldn't care for myself.
He acted like that was unnecessary, but finally agreed.

Two major concerns: I have an extreme allergy to the surgical tape that they use.  It is in my medical records and it becomes more severe after each surgery that I have.
It didn't matter. My orthopedics doctor used some form of tape to cover my incision and I broke out with a rash similar to a really bad sun burn. I told the doctor about this reaction and he said "I am the doctor and I know about rashes." "I am like the insurance company commercial where they have seen it all."
My only thought is "what a jerk you are!"
There is more. 
This same doctor allowed his medical assistant to discontinue my
depression medication when I was discharged from the hospital to go to the rehab center.
After a few days I was crying four and five times a day. I would cry in therapy gym, in my hospital room, and in front of my nurses who were trying to console me. I developed insomnia, and would be unable to lay in bed due to pain. I was unable to rest for the entire time I was in rehab. Heck, this insomnia haunted me for nearly two months after my surgery
Remember, I'm also having a severe allergic reaction too.
Since the surgery required the removal of my shoulder bones and a metal plate drilled in place for my shoulders and arm to have contact, I thought my tears were due to extreme pain. Only one day, I felt slightly better and I asked the nurses if I was getting my depression medication.
They told me no, that I didn't have any schedule.
I was extremely angry. I had taken my depression medication for years. They had forced me to go off of it cold turkey.
I called my family doctor and my mental health practitioner and
they both confirmed that I was indeed on this medication.
The nurses at the rehab center we able to get me back on my medication. Thanks to the nurses.
The nurse practitioner at the rehab center came into my room with a handful of prescriptions and apologized.
Two of the nurse supervisors and the director also apologized to me. I was put into a medicine withdrawal for nearly a week.
I see my doctor on Wednesday for a final visit and I plan to speak up. This treatment was done with negligence, stupidity
and arrogance.
I use to put those with medical training on a pedestal.
No longer do, I don't even feel like I want to trust them.
I wouldn't wish this experience on any one.

I reported the problem to the patient relations and talked to the administrator who took my grievance report.
This was the stuff I will continue to fight for.
How can we educate people about depression?
It is my right to go into a hospital and have my medical history honored, to be treated with respect, and to be treated as if my depression medication was as necessary as any other drug being administered.
-------------------------------------------------------
#medication withdrawal    #doctor is negligent    #excuse me  

#artist     #no excuses    #medical negligence    #train doctors to know about depression


 #smart people and depression    #depressionheads    




                                                         Painting by Cathy Jeffers  2017









No comments: