Monday, August 13, 2018

Does My Dog Have Social Anxiety?


I don't know if it is possible, but I swear my dog has social anxiety.

EVERY TIME I take her to the vet, my beloved dog turns into another being. Today, I needed help in and out with her. She is way too much for me to handle. 

At home all is calm, sweet Peaches sleeps about 22 hours a day. She is the perfect dog for me.
She "wiggles" when she needs to go out or wants her dinner. If she is really excited to be feed she leaps a little like Snoopy might do. She also barks when the mail comes, she goes nuts for about 3 minutes and then calmly brings me the mail in her mouth, one letter at a time. Otherwise, I have a pretty boring dog.

But on annual vet days, my Peaches is a freaky mess. It started when she sees another dog going pee outside the office. The owner, a woman has a very small dog. Her boys flip their arms, jump up and want back into their van just as I am parking.

My dog sees all of this and it starts a chain reaction of what I can call Dog Madness. I even have to call the staff to come and get her out of my car. She is reluctant a first, but a calm voice telling her momma is coming too makes her leap out of my car. They take her to the room while I am checking in and handing over a 3-day old poop sample that I am not 100% sure is hers because the poop was picked up during a run at a school near me. Imagine my shock when I realize the poop test costs $30.00 and it might be another dog's sample?

By the time I get to the room the assistant has that look of a new parent with a screaming child. She runs to me despite having a leash and a choke chain on. Darn dog, do I really have to claim her?
This doesn't stop even though both assistants disappear and I try to talk her down.

Surprise when the vet eventually appears. He has tricks and offers her treats to pacify her. She always wants treats, so I thank him for having that trick. One shot later, and the process begins again with help needed to leave this appointment. All the other dogs represent another smell and good time at the vets. She whines and barks the whole time I am paying and I'm still thinking I hope that was her dog poop I am paying to be analyzed!

_______________________________________________________________________________

#dogs   #going to the vet   #dog behavior  #dog ownership  #bad dog   #getting a rabies shot

No comments: