Friday, February 24, 2017

Anything is Possible



Today I attended an art conference in my home town. It is held annually and I go every few years.
The best part of going is connecting with people I know.

This year, I wasn't sure I could make it because I am walking now, but I am still limping due to the foot surgery. On the last day to register, I called asked if it wasn't too late and asked for two scholarships for myself and my friend.

That evening the art coordinator called to tell me she had the two scholarships for me. I was excited.
After a long sigh, I then asked if it was possible to get a wheelchair to make things easier on me. My friend had already agreed to push me. The next day I was told they had a wheelchair for me.

My friend and I were to meet in the underground parking garage. She got there before me so she went to get the wheelchair for me. I called to see if she was on her way, and she said she was there. After a long run of "I can see this... can you?" I got out of the car and said loudly, "Marco... Polo..." A lady stopped and asked if I was looking for someone? "I think she is in there." She pointed to the elevator wall. (We couldn't see each other because we were on opposite sides of the same wall.)

I came into the conference area and got my place for a continental breakfast, and my friend went to get me something to eat. I ran into an artist friend and we hugged and kissed and my friend, my companion for the day, smiled. This happened about four more times throughout the day. Each time it was so nice. I had an opportunity to speak to some strangers and acted confident. It felt good to carry on a conversation. At home I am alone so much of the time, the only one I speak to is the dog and four walls.

At one session I made two strangers --laugh, who over-heard a conversation between my friend and I.
It was certainly a surprise!

The highlight of the day was attending a workshop with a former art teacher. He was wrapped up in his presentation, so he didn't see me at first.  I didn't expect him to acknowledge me. But as he circled the room, he came up to me and spoke into his microphone and said- "Wow, Cathy, you could have taught this class." I have known him for close to 50 years and attend his workshop whenever I can. Later in the day, he came up and hugged ME and pointed out to several people that I had been one of his students. By now, I am sure he has had hundreds of students. "I have known you since I was twelve." I said.

Today was a gift. Thank you. (The Secret)
___________________________________________________________________

#the secret      #art     #art teacher     #feels good     #friendship     #hugs  #former student


No comments: