Wednesday, January 27, 2016

A Kiss From A Dying Man





A wonderful friend of mine is dying from cancer.  He was diagnosed nearly a year to the day. He is in Hospice now.

Today, I saw how he has grown weaker from my last visit.  He is often sleeping from all the medication, and sitting up in his chair is a big deal.  When I arrived, his son was with him, and barely leaves his father's side.  I peeked in the room and the other visitor shook her head it in a manner to convey things were not looking good. I left immediately and went for a cup of coffee and thought- should I stay or should I go?

I drank my coffee and decided to peeked in again.  This time he was much more alert and his son got me a chair.  I wanted to smile and chat and appear cheerful for my friend.  I only got a sentence or two out when my tears came and I could no longer speak. I thanked him for everything he had done for me, what a great person he is, and how much he meant to me. He moved forward and I called for his son because I thought he wanted to sit up or get back into bed.  I proceeded to move out of the way. "No he said. You stay there."  Then, leaning towards me, with the gentlest of pressure, he kissed my cheek.

___________________________________#hospice______________________________________

#thekiss    #artist 

No comments: